While the idea of a premarital agreement may not be romantic in the slightest, it can be a very useful tool. Nobody enters into a marriage thinking it will end. But with divorces climbing at an alarming rate, many people find themselves in the precarious position with their finances, property, and assets once a marriage has failed. Taking the time to discuss and draft a premarital agreement with your future spouse can be a crucial step to protecting both prospective spouses’ assets prior to walking down the aisle. The truth of the matter is that more and more people get married later in life. Taking a pragmatic approach about the property you have accumulated can save you a lot of time, money, and energy in the long run.
The following are some of the benefits of premarital agreements:
- Protects your business and/or professional entity in the event of a divorce
- It can limit or eliminate the amount of spousal support to be paid
- Take measures to ensure you will be compensated in the event your marriage fails, particularly if you are leaving your career to stay at home and take care of children
- It can protect financial investments
- It can prevent one spouse from inheriting the debts of the other
- It can limit and reduce cost in the event of a divorce
- It protects your separate property
- It can also protect the financial stability of your children
Contact Our Houston Divorce Lawyers Today
At Boudreaux | Hunter & Associates, LLC, our Houston divorce lawyers feel it is necessary to inform our clients about the pros and cons of entering into a marriage without investigating all available options. Our legal team will listen to your specific situation and needs, then advise you on the premarital agreement applicable to your specific situation. Our extensive experience in family law will help you start your marriage off feeling secure, confident, and assured.
To schedule an initial consultation, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at (713) 766-6283.